Wednesday, January 15, 2014

side table revival


When I picked up this little guy he was caked in layers of different paint and had a hideous, warped plywood panel where the wooden supports are. Unfortunately I didn’t take any before photos on my camera so you’ll just have to imagine it.

The first thing I did was bang out that plywood shelf. Then I started sanding the top with my orbital sander. I had the intention of sanding it back to wood but halfway through I decided I liked that “Half done sanding” rustic look.


Because my sander is a disc with a diameter of 18cm it was difficult to get into corners. Because I was making this piece rustic I got a flat head screwdriver and basically chiseled out the caked on paint from those hard to get to places. I would have to get a specialty tool for more delicate pieces because it left a few scratch marks.

Once I removed all unwanted paint I gave the whole pieces (not including the top) a once over with a fine grain sanding disc to create a smooth finish. I had to use hand sandpaper for the corners.

My boyfriend had some kitchen oil on hand that he uses for his wooden spear gun and this worked perfectly on the untreated wood. It just brought through the lovely colours of the pine and left over stain, particularly on the top, without over doing it.


Voila! Finished product and my first ever refinished piece! I feel and addiction coming on…




No comments:

Post a Comment